Desert Rat Experience
February 3-5, 2023
The Desert Rat Experience is a man’s weekend designed for guys who are into all kinds of off-roading. There’s just something about riding or driving motorcycles, quads, rails and 4x4s with a bunch of guys who consider the desert a big playground. That’s what the Desert Rat Experience is all about. You can count on lots of riding time, great Desert Rat messages from our own Chris Brown and three hot meals with lots of meat.
- If you don’t have an off-road vehicle or 4×4, you will need to find a friend who has an extra bike or an extra seat belt. We will not be providing any vehicles, bikes or lodging.
- You don’t need to know anyone to come.
- We recommend the event for teens and above but trust dads to make the call on a younger boy.
- The brief teaching times will be appropriate for any age.
ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSES THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 1
To guarantee a Drat T-shirt register by January 23.
You must be registered by Jan 30 for our meal count.
COST: $70 adult, $50 for 18 yrs old and under
Registration includes 4 Refuel Messages/Sessions around the fire pit, two breakfasts & a MAN Dinner, a Desert Rat T-shirt, Desert Swag Prizes, and an Epic Weekend!
Questions about registration, email Vikki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Base Camp is located in Ocotillo Wells area across the road at County Line Road turn off.
Getting to Ocotillo Wells:
- Take Hwy 15 North
- Exit and turn right on Hwy 76 East (you will pass Lake Henshaw on your left).
- Turn left on 79 North
- Turn right on S2 (S2 ends at Hwy 78)
- Turn left on Hwy 78 to Ocotillo Wells SVRA
Getting to Desert Rat Campsite:
DESERT RAT BASE CAMP / COUNTY LINE RANCH
As you enter Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Area going east on Hwy 78…
- Drive 3.1 miles past Split Mountain Road to County Line Road (if you see the Blue Inn turn around, you went too far).
- Turn right and enter by driving between two cut-off telephone poles on dirt road and follow signs to base camp approx .03 miles. County Line Road will be on the left.
- Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/NiTBCFXSqcq
- Coordinates: 33°07’40.4″N 116°04’55.6″W
- You are responsible to know and follow the rules and regulations at Ocotillo Wells SVRA as they relate to vehicle registration, speed, lights, mufflers, firearms, fireworks, fires, parental supervision and helmets. You can get further details at http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1234
- The Desert Rat Experience is an alcohol free event.
- Don’t bring firearms or fireworks; we are keeping it all legal.
- We will set up a “no-ride zone” in our camping area.
- Other than that, keep it safe and fun.
Note – this schedule will give you an idea of what we will be doing. It may change a little. We are intentionally keeping things pretty unstructured so you can ride as much as you want.
Friday, February 3
5:00-8:00pm Scheduled Arrival Time
5:00-8:00 Check in / Registration
9:00 Orientation/Refuel Meeting #1
10:00 Campfire, food
Saturday, February 4
7:00am Fire going and coffee on
9:00 Morning Refuel Meeting #2
7:00 Award Presentation/Refuel Meeting #3
8:00 Campfire, food
Sunday, February 5
7:30am Fire going, coffee on
8:30 Wrap up Refuel Meeting #4
10:00 Program ends – clean up
- Everything you need to live in the desert for a couple days (tent, trailer, sleeping bag, camping gear, etc…) We will not be providing any lodging, equipment or vehicles.
- Appropriate gear and clothing for daytime heat and nighttime cold. (The desert can hit temperature extremes in either direction and wind and rain are always possibilities).
- Fuel and tools (closest gas is on Highway 86 at Salton City – 25 miles.)
- Food, water and beverages for the weekend. We will provide breakfast and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday. Bring your own lunches and snacks.
- Any safety or recovery equipment you would normally bring to the desert
- GPS or compass
- CB or two way radio to communicate with other vehicles
- Cell Phone