NORTH COAST CHURCH’S DESERT RAT 2021: February 26-28
Chances are, Desert Rat 2021 it won’t look exactly like it has in the past but we are hopeful we can pull off a way to be out in the dirt with some guys, doing what we love. We have been in dialogue with the County for the past couple months trying to get a definitive answer, and we’re still not there yet. Look for more information to come towards the end of January.
Our Base Camp is located in Ocotillo Wells area across the road at County Line Road turn off.
Getting to Ocotillo Wells:
- Take Hwy 15 North
- Exit and turn right on Hwy 76 East (you will pass Lake Henshaw on your left).
- Turn left on 79 North
- Turn right on S2 (S2 ends at Hwy 78)
- Turn left on Hwy 78 to Ocotillo Wells SVRA
Getting to Desert Rat Campsite:
DESERT RAT BASE CAMP / COUNTY LINE RANCH
As you enter Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Area going east on Hwy 78…
- Drive 3.1 miles past Split Mountain Road to County Line Road (if you see the Blue Inn turn around, you went too far).
- Turn right and enter by driving between two cut-off telephone poles on dirt road and follow signs to base camp approx .03 miles. County Line Road will be on the left.
- Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/NiTBCFXSqcq
- Coordinates: 33°07’40.4″N 116°04’55.6″W
- You are responsible to know and follow the rules and regulations at Ocotillo Wells SVRA as they relate to vehicle registration, speed, lights, mufflers, firearms, fireworks, fires, parental supervision and helmets. You can get further details at http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1234
- The Desert Rat Experience is an alcohol free event.
- Don’t bring firearms or fireworks; we are keeping it all legal.
- We will set up a “no-ride zone” in our camping area.
- Other than that, keep it safe and fun.
Note – this schedule will give you an idea of what we will be doing. It may change a little. We are intentionally keeping things pretty unstructured so you can ride as much as you want.
Friday, February 26
5:00-8:00pm Scheduled Arrival Time
5:00-8:00 Check in / Registration
9:00 Orientation/Refuel Meeting #1
10:00 Campfire, food
Saturday, February 27
7:00am Fire going and coffee on
9:00 Morning Refuel Meeting #2
7:00 Award Presentation/Refuel Meeting #3
8:00 Campfire, food
Sunday, February 28
7:30am Fire going, coffee on
8:30 Wrap up Refuel Meeting #4
10:00 Program ends – clean up
What to Bring:
- Everything you need to live in the desert for a couple days (tent, trailer, sleeping bag, camping gear, etc…) We will not be providing any lodging, equipment or vehicles.
- Appropriate gear and clothing for daytime heat and nighttime cold. (The desert can hit temperature extremes in either direction and wind and rain are always possibilities).
- Fuel and tools (closest gas is on Highway 86 at Salton City – 25 miles.)
- Food, water and beverages for the weekend. We will provide breakfast and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday. Bring your own lunches and snacks.
- Any safety or recovery equipment you would normally bring to the desert
- GPS or compass
- CB or two way radio to communicate with other vehicles
- Cell Phone