The Book of James:
I'd Rather Be Righteous
July 26-27, 2014
Food for Thought
For the week of July 27, 2014
(Questions and Scriptures for further personal study)
This week we are going to take an in-depth look at a biblical example of a wise response in action.
Abigail was a person who understood the importance attitude plays when it comes to responding wisely; and she put it into practice. She was the wife of a fool named Nabal who initiated a life-threatening conflict with David (of Goliath fame) when he responded disrespectfully to David's hospitality and generosity. The story of her wise response in action is found in 1 Samuel 25. After reading the chapter, answer the questions below.
1. What do you think is most impressive about Abigail's attitude or actions associated with this conflict between David and her husband Nabal?
2. If Abigail had not responded with such a wise attitude, how do you think David's response to Abigail, after Nabal's death, would have differed?
3. Look back over the “Wisdom Checklist” on your sermon note sheet. Which of the traits listed do you notice coming into play in this story:
- In Abigail's response?
- In David's initial response?
- In David's ultimate response?
4. Of course, the entire conflict could have easily been avoided if Nabal had been careful with his attitude toward David. Which of the traits on the “Wisdom Checklist” do you notice Nabal disregarding in his response to David's men?
5. Which of the traits on the “Wisdom Checklist” do you think you disregard most often?
What steps could you take to be more mindful of those traits this week?